Friday, August 20, 2010

Insanity Diaries, Days 1 - 3

I've been in denial for a long time, but it's kind of hard to ignore the fact that not only am I getting older, but along with that, I'm getting fatter.  I'm not proud to say that I've gone up a pant size and gained ALOT of weight in the past 3 years.   It pretty much happened after I stopped working out.  I stopped first because I hurt my knee so badly, that even after a month, my doctor told me I wasn't even allowed to jog on it, much less work out.  Then, it just got hard for me to get back into working out.

We all hear about the latest diet crazes and work out fads, and I've never been one to even give any one of these a second thought.  Well, at least until now.  Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

There's this latest work out craze going around ... well, actually 2 main home workout ones that are all the buzz.  One is P90x, and the other is Insanity.  Both, I've heard are crazy hard.  But I could never find someone who tried both, and tell me what the difference is.

Finally, I overheard James chatting with Dennis about Insanity, and started asking them questions.  James lent his Insanity workout DVDs to Dennis, who only tried the 1st fit test and never did anything after that.  I asked if I could borrow them and try them out, which neither of them had a problem with.  James explained to me that P90x is focused more on getting cut and building muscle weight, which you end up loosing weight as a side thing.  P90x's program takes 90 days whereas Insanity's program is only 60 days.  But Insanity is more about loosing weight and getting toned.  You still get ripped, but you don't need any extra equipment.  So after that, Insantiy was definately a clear winner to me over the P90x.  I was looking to loose some extra weight, as fast as possible (preferably), and with the less money I have to shell out (ie. no equipment to buy), the better.

Knowing how bad I am at motivating myself to work out, I asked Don if he'd be interested in doing the program with me.  I've learned that after college, I lost all motivation to work out and unless I have a work out buddy, I find all kinds of excuses to NOT work out.  He agreed to do it, and when I got the DVDs from Dennis, we started Day 1 - our fitness test.

Day 1, Fit Test.  Now with a name like Insanity, you know you're getting yourself in a world of hurt.  That, plus talking to people who tried it, I haven't found one person that I personally know who has finished the entire 60 days.  In fact, they tell me how hard it is and some even tell me that they hate it soooo much!  They were not exaggerating on the craziness of this workout!  I was not even doing a work out- I was just doing a fit test to give myself a baseline to gage myself on my progress for later.  Basically, for 25 minutes, you go through a bunch of different exercises and try to do as much as you possibly can in a minute.  I was dripping in sweat and so tired at the end of the fitness test, I could not imagine how the other 59 days will fare.  I soon found solidarity with all those who have tried this before me, and they became my cheerleaders to keep it up ... as well as bearers of bad news as they all described the pain that was in store for me with the future workouts ...

Day 2, Polymetrics.  I've heard alot about polymetrics from those who did P90x, and I've actually done some working out using my Wii More Active workout game.  But my wii game was like a joke compared to Insanity!  The jumps, hops, drops - take a basic anything and put it on steriods, and that doesn't even begin to compare to some of the things that I was doing!  I was dripping in sweat and my legs were going numb, and towards the end, my whole body was starting to shake!  I could not keep up with the people on the video at all, but I took little breaks and just tried my best to keep moving.  He keeps you moving at high intensity for 3 mintues straight, then you have 30 seconds to catch your breath and grab a quick drink of water before it starts all over ... and faster!!  My dogs were quite interested in what I was doing and Shadow even joined me on my yoga mat during my stretches after the workout.  If I didn't think it after Day 1, definately after Day 2, I could see why it was called Insanity, and decided that it was correctly named.

Day 3, Cardio Power and Resistance.  Now here is when having a work out buddy comes in handy.  I was lying on the couch, watching tv, muscles aching, and really really really not wanting to do Insanity today ... in fact, if I didn't see it for the rest of my life, I don't think I would have been too sad.  Don came over after he finished work, and when I mentioned that maybe we could NOT do Insanity today, he gave me a look that made me feel guilty and pull myself off the couch and get ready for more torture ... uh, I ment workout.  So started day 3 of the insanity I put myself through.  This work out seemed to go by real fast.  Don't get me wrong, I was still dying and dripping sweat and wondering when the pain would end, but it seemed to go by a lot faster then the previous day's workout.  I found that my muscles would be screaming in pain and burning so badly that I would have to stop after sometimes only doing a few reps.  As the workout went on, my high knees became marching in place, my but kicks were more like jogging in place, and the crazy hard fifty million versions of push ups just became regular push ups until I felt like I was going to fall on my face.

I can see how people loose a lot of weight doing this workout.  And I can see why everyone I've talked to stopped doing it.  Truthfully, I don't know how much longer I will be doing this.  Probabbly as long as Don keeps pushing me to do it and not letting me skate off.  I think that if I have 1 day off from it, it'll easily turn into 2 days, then 2 years for me!  lol.

Anyways, the reason why I'm blogging this is in hopes that the more people that know that I'm doing this, the more guilty I would feel for not doing it when people ask me about it!  I do want to loose weight and get fit again.  I'm so out of shape, and it really sucks.  So here's to 57 more days of Insanity!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment