Monday, March 29, 2010

Day #5

This was our last day on the slopes!  Having a day of break helped me a little, but I was still achy and sore still.  Since Don and I decided that we would actually take to the lifts today and do some of those green runs, we had to go buy lift tickets.  $85 for an all day lift ticket ... and that was the discounted price we got from the rental place!!  Yikes!  Now there was definately no chickening out today after spending that money!

Brianna and Lindsey made the girls spring break t-shirts, and they came out great!  Here we are modeling the front and back of our tshirts.  I heard that there was even talk about next year having themed days ...



We got to the mountain and once again, put on our boots, grabbed our gear and hopped on the shuttle.  When we got to the village area, we all took some pictures, took a last minute bathroom break, then me and Don split from the rest of the group to head to the bunny slopes for some last minute practicing.  after a few runs on the slopes, Don and I decided to head up the lift and try our luck on one of the lower green slopes.  This time, I didn't have any trouble getting on or off the lift, and the lift itself wasn't as scarey, now that I knew what to expect.



My tailbone was still sore that I couldn't even sit on it at the angle I needed to strap my board on or push myself up.  So when I was snowboarding, I was concentrating on going toe-edge (which I wasn't the best at) instead of heel-edge (which I was better at) so that when I fell, I wouldn't fall on my butt.  This presented a challenge to me, because when I was going toe-edge, my back was to the bottom of the mountain, and eventually I ran out of mountain to go.  So I alternated between toe and heel edge.  I didn't really master the whole linking edges yet, and with my tail-bone hurting so much, I didn't want to really try.  But I made it down the mountain eventually to another lift.  Don seemed to get it faster than I did, and he was doing pretty well.




When we got down the first slope, Don suggested that we grab another lift to an even higher portion of the mountain.  I had expressed a few days ago that I didn't want to go higher on the mountain, but Don said that it was still a green run, and since I wasn't doing too bad on this one, I agreed.  We would go on the higher lift, ride the slope down to the resturant, then ride the rest of the way down and either go back up or meet up with the group.  Well, this 2nd lift wasn't such a great idea after all.  We didn't have any problem getting on the lift.  In fact, 2 kids in skis joined us.  Getting off the lift, I saw the little kid next to us fall, failing, and next thing I know, Don and I went down as well.  The ski lift operator didn't stop the lift, and we all didn't have a chance to get out of the way before the people in the lift behind us came sliding off their chair and into us!!  I wasn't too happy with this start.  Then I look down the hill, and see that it's very steep...and it leads to a half pipe and mougles.

Here's our first slope ... nice and easy!

Here's the slopes behind us

Here's the view from right off of where the 2nd lift deposited us


Thankfully, Don said that's not the side we were going down.  The side we were going down was the other side of the slopes.  Well .... that side wasn't as steep, but it was still steep.  In fact, I wasn't able to get up on my board at all!!  I kept falling over.  My sore tailbone didn't help much.  I was getting so fustrated trying to get down that one slope, that I was in near tears and cursing out Don for bringing me up there.
Me taking a break on the slopes.

The elevation and all this falling down is kicking my butt!!!
Don waiting for me to catch up down the hill.

I ended up falling/snowboarding/walking down the rest of the way to make it to the resturant down on the slopes.  Unfortunately, we ran out of water part way down.  So we grabbed a bunch of snow and shoved it in our waterbottle, hoping it would melt and we could have water.  No such luck on the melting part. 


The resturant was a well needed break, and we rested and filled up on food and water and made our journey back down the slopes.  I did a better on this slope, I even went farther than I did the day of the class (we even started higher up too!), but by the last 1/4 of the slope, I was so tired and beat up, that I ended up walking the rest of the way down.  I didn't feel too bad, though.  I saw others doing the same.  Except they looked more beat than I was.


On the way down, we ran into Jadie and her ski class doing curves down the hill.  She noticed us right away and was all smiles, but it took us a little while to notice her.  Boy, did we hear it after for not spotting her right away!!



When we reached the bottom, Don decided he wanted to go on another run.  I decided I had enough.  So he went on another run, and I headed to the lodge to grab some last minute gifts and a frame I had been eyeing out and wait for the rest of the group to meet up.  We all took pictures at the bottom of the lift before we left.





After dropping off our rental equipment, we headed out to Subway for a quick dinner.  Except this Subway was not quick.  The guy behind the counter seemed shocked at how big our group was and kept telling us that it was only him there and the bread was rock hard and that if we wanted to go somewhere else, that's fine with him.  John, Beth, Don and I ended up getting sandwhiches from him, while the rest of the group went somewhere else.  It was definately the wierdest subway experience I ever had.

We took our food back to the hotel and had our sandwiches then headed down to the outdoor hot tub again!

No comments:

Post a Comment