Friday, January 1, 2010

Arizona Memorial


7:55am December 7, 1941 ... A day that will live in infamy

Growing up in Hawaii, I've learned alot about the attack on Pearl Harbor and our involvement in WWII. I've been to the memorial many times, bringing family and friends who visit us, as well as school trips. But the last time I remember going to the memorial was about 14 years ago. I always encourage people who come to Hawaii to visit or live here to visit the memorial at least once.
I don't know how to explain it, but watching the actual footage of what happened that day, hearing the survivors' retell their story of that day, seeing the pictures, and visiting the Arizona Memorial just touches you in an undescribable way.

The USS Arizona still lies where she sunk, with hundreds of her crew still lying in her hull. The memorial itself is erected above the ship, allowing vistors to pay their respects and see parts of the ship below and above the water.
View of the memorial from the ferry ship.
This wall lists all those that were killed on that day. The portion on the lower left are the names of the survivors of the USS Arizona that chose to have their remains placed in the ship after they died.
This is the remnaents of Gun Turrent #3, along with oil that still leaks from the ship today. People say that the oil from her hull is the tears of the ship.
This is a portion of the port side of the hull.

The flagstaff that flies above USS Arizona every day

No comments:

Post a Comment